17 May 64 a EXHIBITION OF FLOWERS, MONUMENTS, COURTYARDS AND GARDENS IN GIRONA
FROM 11TH TO 19TH OF MAY
A small event that was held at the Hall of Rest of the Town Hall in 1954
has become the great international festival of Girona
The history of Girona, Temps de Flors is also a story of young entrepreneurs who, 61 years ago, decided to organize a first edition of what they called the Flores Provincial Exhibition Contest at the Municipal Theater Hall of Rest. The good response and the interest of the people who visited that space in 1954 pushed them to carry on an event that has become the great international festival of Girona, an activity that attracts people from all over the world.
The festival was growing year after year, both in terms of the space that hosted it and the growing involvement of citizens and the social fabric of the city. From the Rest Hall, that first year was already small, he went to the Parchment Room of the Public Library and then to the Monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants. Later, he went to the convent and the cloister of Sant Domènec. Afterwards, it began to spread through several patios and gardens of the Old Quarter, such as the Plaza de los Jurats, the cloister of the Cathedral or the gardens of the Plaza de Narcís Figueras.
The evolution of the festival lived a key point in 1979, when it was organized for the first time on behalf of the Association of Friends of Flowers and Gardens. Later on, in 1983, the Association of Friends of the Old Girona was also involved, which was the opening of many other patios and private gardens that remained closed to the public during the rest of the year . In 1992 the City Council of Girona was definitely involved in the organization and the conjunction of all these events was a qualitative and quantitative leap that was decisive for the festival’s projection.